Monday, September 7, 2009

Two more weeks!

Preparing to move home is no easy task. Besides packing and repacking (and repacking) to make sure everything is in the bags and under the weight limit, there's saying goodbye to the people that have made this year amazing. A couple weeks ago our professors decided to conduct a "going home" seminar. For a lot of people (including me), this experience was their first away from their home country. Naturally, we've lived life a bit differently and going home can end up being harder to adjust to. For instance, one of my classmates is from Pakistan. She's enjoyed quite a bit of freedom this year, but goes home to a province in war with the Taliban and to a home where she must have permission and an escort to leave the house. Big changes for her!

One of the tasks we did in this seminar was to list things we are looking forward to and things we will miss. I didn't take things too seriously at the time, but I know there will be some adjustment for me. So, here's a more serious list.

What I'm looking forward to about going home:
Seeing my family
Hugs from my mom and dad
Phantom
Playing with the kids
Finding a job
Getting my stuff out of storage
My bed (the mattress at my apartment was less than comfortable)
Phantom
Ranch dressing
Mexican food
Seeing my friends
Planning my wedding

Things I will miss about being in England
Sleeping in
Traveling to new places
The architecture
Seeing the boy (he doesn't move right away)
The friends I've made here
Having everything in walking distance
Trains

So, while I'll miss some things, there is much more that I'm looking forward to. And now that I don't live there anymore, here are some pictures from Loughborough University, my home away from home for the past year.



1 comment:

Stefanie said...

We will be excited to have you back...but I know it will be bitter sweet to make the transition!!