Friday, September 19, 2008

Fall asleep with the tv darling, I'll be back again

~Augustana

Prior to leaving for England, my mom decided to make sure I didn't miss out on what happens between now and my Christmas break. Several weeks ago she asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday. I generally don't know, even when it's just days before my birthday, let alone months. So I told her I wanted an apple pie. Saturday night I cooked dinner for my parents. I cooked my favorite type of salad (yes, I said cooked a salad). Well, I cooked the chicken, and prepared the salad. Anyway, after dinner she disappeared into the kitchen and after waiting with my dad and wondering what she was doing, she came out with this. My very own apple pie for my birthday. And she even brought out some Moravian pumpkin spice (mmmmmm) cookies for my Thanksgiving.

The next night my mom surprised me by continuing with her theme of making sure I didn't miss out on things by cooking a modified Thanksgiving dinner for the whole family. I say modified because we had chicken instead of turkey. But it was just as good and really made the night a lot of fun.

And what was dessert? My very own pink lemonade birthday cake. Well, one to share with the family. I have the best family ever!

After all the celebrations I repacked my suitcases, twice. I'm now starting to think I could have left even more stuff back home, but I'm sure I'll appreciate having it soon enough. I spent most of Monday with my family, trying to get all the last minute things together. Tuesday greeted me with very English weather, 70 degrees and rain, just the kind of weather you want to drive 2 hours in to get to the airport. I made it to the airport in plenty of time, said my goodbyes and I love yous and got on the plane. The whole time I was sitting in the terminal and on the plane all I could think about was how surreal this all felt. It's like I was living someone else's life. Maybe once the jet lag wears off it'll feel more real. Less than 3 months before I'm back in the States.

No comments: