Monday, September 22, 2008

No rest for the weary

My first few days in England were rather tiring. I still wonder if I've caught up with the time. I think I'm close. They keep us pretty busy around here. Here's a quick recap of the first couple of days.

My flight was long...it somehow seemed so much longer than last time. Maybe it's because the plane was pretty full...and the guy in front of me kept wanting to talk so I didn't sleep...but either way, it was long. We arrived in London at 6:30AM GMT. I made it through customs really quickly. They didn't even ask for my paperwork. Then I retrieved my bags and waited, and waited, and waited some more. I waited until 10AM when I saw someone with a sign for my uni come by. Then I moved over to check in for the coach and waited some more. We left London on the coach around 11:45, I think. It was a good 2 hour drive so I took the opportunity to take a nap.

Once we arrived at the uni, we checked in for orientation, got our room keys for the week, and headed in to relax before dinner at 5. I met another American while getting my key and she just happened to be in the same department I'm in. That made me feel a little more at ease right away.

Since last Wednesday I've made several friends from several different backgrounds. My friends consist of 2 other Americans (yay!), a few Germans, a girl from Nigeria, a guy from Austria, a girl from Finland, a girl from the Netherlands, a girl from China, and a girl from England. The girl from England is one of our orientation counselors though.

Our second day here we went to our first set of sessions. They were mainly for us to get to know each other. I walked into town to find out about moving into my flat but found out I still have to wait since the current resident hasn't moved out. I scheduled my interview for my job at the apartment building too. Hopefully that goes well and is a no brainer type job. Then I attended more sessions. It was much of the same on Friday.

Saturday was a whole different story, but I'll save that for the next post, since I actually have pictures to share with that.

Till then...

Cheers!

No comments: