Saturday, October 25, 2008

I'm through accepting limits

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know." ~Wicked Musical Soundtrack


It's been a long week. One that has tested me in many ways, and finally sent me to the point of being extremely homesick. I'm better now, thanks to a little talk with an old roommate, but I do miss home. I miss my parents, my brother and sister-in-law, the kids, my grandmother, my dog, my parent's dog, my cat, normalcy, and the few friends that I've actually talked to since I've been here.

I went to church on Sunday and finally made a few friends there. Well, people I think will end up as friends anyway. Sunday night they did a special service just for students. The guy that spoke talked about our interactions with people and how we shouldn't be afraid to show people who we are and should carry our torch for Christ out in front of us at all times. It was the shyness part that got me. I thought I was past all this. But you know, there are times that being shy is just part of who I am. I'm getting better now, but the first few times I was around the church group I had a hard time talking and just wanted to run out of the room and find someone I knew...that I'd known longer than the 6 weeks I've been here. I guess that's what got it all started.

Monday was great. Well, the end of Monday was great. I finally got my package from home. All I knew it contained was a few things I wanted to bring but didn't have room for...mostly clothes (like my winter coat!). When I opened the box I was surprised by what my parents had added. It was great, and made me feel little more ok about things here, but still missing home. I can't wait to get more packages from home though. (*hint hint*). I received a letter from my grandmother yesterday. That was a great thing too. Now I just have to write her back but include pictures. She loves seeing the things I'm doing here.

Classes are getting tougher. It's not the content, mostly the grading. I received my first graded assignment back and let's just say I broke down. I'm really confused by the grade but I guess I'll just have to do better from now on. I have so much reading to do this weekend, on top of the 3 weeks worth of laundry, grocery shopping, and work. But it's why I'm here, right? Plus tonight will be loads of fun. I'm going to a concert at the student union...to hear Delirious play. I love them! I've wanted to see them for years...so I'm really excited. And it means I get to hang out with some people from church. Maybe making friends is what will help me get past this funk. Or at least make this place feel a little more like my home away from home. One can hope so anyway.

But that's enough procrastinating for one morning, it's time to get through this pile of reading before it piles up even more.

2 comments:

care said...

1) good for you. good for you for going, even if you're still fighting with being comfy there! seriously. just remember that there are LOTS of people who like you and like what you have to say across the pond, so if those Brits and other transplants have any sense, they'll feel the exact same way.
2) I loveloveloveloveloveloveloveLOVE sending people mail. Did I mention I like it? anyway, give me your address and I will TOTALLY send you mail. okay? okay.

J'Og said...

the wizard of oz happy meal is a nice touch. "there's no place like home!"

hang in there and it gets easier. hope the concert was everything you hoped it would be!