Sunday, November 9, 2008

Time to breathe in and let everything out

~Sanctus Real

Last week was the end of my first two classes here at uni. Have I really been here long enough to have completed 2 courses? I guess when the courses are only taught for 5 weeks, time does go by. I can't believe it though. I had my exams last week. It was great. So great in fact that I likely failed because every time I think things have gone well on a test I end up really upset with the grade. But that's OK, I also made an A* on an assignment. That's right, A*...which is better than an A+. Who knew? Just to top off my week I received by far the best piece of mail so far this year (sorry mom...but how do you top getting this from a 5 year old?)

Yesterday I went to Cambridge for the day. It was a pretty great trip. I'm kinda glad I'm not going to school there. It's a town packed with tourist. I bet the students feel like animals at the zoo. But, it has some amazing architecture. I saw several of the colleges, went into the Chapel and King's College and even got to listen to the organist practicing. Yes, I'm still a music dork! I probably could have sat in there all day just listening to that pipe organ.

We went to the Fitzwilliam Museum as well. They had an exhibit from Egypt, including real mummies. They also had quite a bit of Roman and Greek artifacts, which of course made me happy. The highlight of the time in the museum though was getting to see real paintings by Monet, Degas, Renoir, Matisse, and Picasso. How often have I had the chance to do that. I've never really considered myself as someone that likes Monet, but after standing in front of his artwork and really considering it all, I found it truly mesmerizing.

The only thing I didn't get to do in Cambridge that I had really hoped to was punting on the Cam. I did watch someone fall into the river though, so that was almost worth missing out on the experience. But the rain kept me from wanting to spend too much time near lots of water. Great trip overall, and I can't wait until I get another day to travel somewhere new. Oh! I almost forgot, I also saw the apple tree (or part of the apple tree) where Sir Isaac Newton first learned about our friend gravity. (That one is just for you, Carrie.) More pictures are up on flickr (click on the image to the right).

This country is amazing. The people are really nice, not anything like I had been told. I'm making some amazing friends and I'm learning new things about myself everyday. I'm just doing my best to take everything in that I can, and soak up this awesome opportunity.

'Til next time!

No comments: