Sunday was AMAZING! I mean, it was alright.
Sunday I went hiking in the Peak District with a couple friends. Let me start off by saying the peaks here make the mountains back home look huge! But it's still nature, and nature is beautiful, so it was still a breathtaking sight.
We set off from my place at 8AM and arrived in Castleton around 10, I think. It was cold, below freezing, but once we got going we quickly warmed up. We started our walk by walking through town to a small farm. While passing the sheep that were grazing, Andy reminded us that the book stated these sheep are hostile in the winter. So, of course, we started trying to talk to the sheep, whom decided to stop grazing and stare at us.
After walking through a few fields, past a farm, over a small footbridge, over a creek, and up through another field we started to ascend Lose Hill. While looking at the hill I couldn't help but wonder if there was another way up, but regardless, I pressed on and before I knew it I was enjoying this view.
After throwing a rock on top of the beacon, we began walking across the top of the ridge towards Back tor. The path was really slippery, with snow, ice, mud, and the occasional deep puddle that Andy so nicely entertained us with by stepping it in. We got a good laugh out of that, but as we all know, karma sucks!!
After Back tor we continued along the ridge towards Mam tor, apparently the highest peak. Along we way we past some mountain bikers, brave mountain bikers, biking up an icy stone path. It was a very difficult climb to get to top of Back tor, and really really windy and cold at the top. But the views were once again beautiful. I LOVE NATURE!!
Coming down Mam tor I provided more entertainment for the crew by falling again in the mud. This time I thoroughly covered by butt with mud. It was funny, and painful all at once. We headed through some more fields, past some huge sheep, and down into a steep ravine. It was all so amazing! I can't wait until I go hiking with them again!!
All in all, I had a great time and really hope that in the new year I'll be able to spend a little more time exploring this country I'm living in.

No comments:
Post a Comment