Sunday, January 11, 2009

If I had my own world, I'd build you an empire

~Angels and Airwaves

*The following post is taken from my travel journal...*

Edinburgh: Day 1

Who knew that 2 years ago when I started planning my Scotland trip that this was the road I'd take to get here?! I mean, I live 5 hours away right now. Weird.

Anyway, the journey here started off rather stressful. I got all the way to the train station only to realize I didn't have my railcard. After begging and pleading with the lady at the station I realized I'd have to go back to my place to find it - and hope I'd catch my train. Thank you taxi driver - who incidentally is named Ishmael (funny cause I was reading that book). Found the railcard and made it back to the station with time to spare.

When I was waiting to board the train, the twins were leaving the train. We all said hi then I jumped on board. It was fun seeing them right before leaving. Train after train after train (5 total) I eventually made it to Edinburgh.

I found my hostel pretty quickly. It's an old church building. I find this quite fascinating. Basically there are at least 12 rooms located in what used to be the sanctuary. No ceilings to the rooms so when you look up you see the rafters, stone archways, and stained glass. In all honesty this is much cooler sounding than reality. It's cold! While there are heaters in each room, it's freezing! I mean, the heat just keeps going up, to the rafters, never warming the room. Plus the showers stink! I'm trying to figure out how I could go without showering or washing my hair for 2 more days but I think I'll have to just give in. At least tonight.

After getting settled I headed to a pub called Haymarket for dinner. Yummy!!

No comments: