James TaylorThis past weekend I traveled down south of uni to visit Birmingham and Dudley.
The boy showed me around his hometown and I realized how much bigger "small towns" in England are from small towns back home (like where I'm from). I can't tell you much of the history of the area, but it was very pretty. We headed out to see the Priory ruins. That was interesting but I forgot to get the camera out to take any pictures. Then we headed out to
Himley Hall. It's built on the Earl of Dudley's land where his home used to be. It's a medieval manor house. Very pretty...

After
Himley Hall we headed over to the Crooked House. It really is crooked. Basically, it's an old house that started subsiding (lots of limestone caverns under Dudley) so they built some supports on one side, made the floors even, and turned it into a pub/restaurant. Pretty neat...but it makes you feel a bit dizzy when walking inside. Plus the doors either have to be pushed or pulled upwards to get them to open.

Overall it was a beautiful weekend. While everyone around me kept complaining about the heat (it was maybe 70 degrees!!!) I reminded them that it's much hotter than that back home. So, another quality weekend spent seeing new parts of this country. Hopefully more of those will come.
No comments:
Post a Comment